Parenthood is a marathon, and for an apparent reason that parents always want to provide the best education, opportunity, environment, clothing, food, etc. to their children. However, If you are a multicultural family, you may be facing some unique parenting situations.
Multicultural families are characterized by a cross-culture marriage, often involved with two people coming from different backgrounds, races, ethnicities, and nationalities sharing life.
The most common questions that are being asked as a multicultural family are how to raise a confident biracial child? How to teach a multilingual kid? How to create values and balance as a cross-culture parent? Raising kids in a multicultural family is often challenging. Parents face decisions on what and how to retain, celebrate, and pass down their unique cultural way of life, language, traditions, value, and behaviors to their kids.
Multicultural families often search for an environment that can provide sufficient diverse exposure to their little global citizen, where society and education have opened dialogues for differences and similarities regularly. Besides, it gives your multicultural child open access to different cultures that encourage a global mindset in kids.
If you are like me, dreaming about embracing multiculturalism as a family! Search for a family-friendly city to move abroad, here are the list:
The Best Cities for Raising Kids
When parents think about a kid-friendly city, we often consider things such as:
- Plenty of indoor and outdoor public space, such as a park, playground, and museum.
- Affordable and spacious housing, also the neighborhood’s proximity to family need is essential
- Family friend city design, such as sufficient pedestrian crosswalks, stroller-friendly streets, and street safety.
- The overall functions of the transportation system should be convenient
- Last but not least, a decent and affordable education and healthcare system.
To find out the top child-friendly cities, I took data from U.S News & World Reports’ annual “best countries” ranking & Homeday’s “The Best Cities for Families Worldwide. The researches are conducted based on the following attributes: care for human rights, family-friendly, gender equality, happiness, income equality, level of safety, well-developed public education system, and well-developed health care system.
The results are:
Top Multicultural City in the world
According to World Atlas, some of the most diverse cities in the world are:
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Sao Paulo
Finally, after cross-analyze the result above.
Top THREE Multicultural child-friendly Cities are:
Unfortunately, affordable housing and job market opportunities remain weak in Spain. Although Barcelona is not on the top 3 list, I still move to Spain.
Here are some facts about Barcelona, Spain:
- #16 overall ranking the best countries for raising kids
- 10 out of 10 happiness index
- 9.8 out of 10 on the heritage/ cultural index.
- 10 out of 10 family-friendly