Parenthood is a marathon, and for an apparent reason that parents want to provide the best education, opportunity, environment, clothing, food, etc. to our little kids. However, If you are a multicultural family like us, you may be facing some unique parenting situations.
Multicultural families are characterized by a cross-cultural marriage, often involved with two people coming from different backgrounds, races, ethnicities, and nationalities sharing life. A multicultural family often searches for an environment that can provide sufficient diverse exposure, where society and education have opened dialogues for differences and similarities regularly. We seek for a place where it gives our multicultural kids open access to different cultures that encourage a global mindset in kids.
If you are also embracing multiculturalism and diversity. Seeking a family-friendly city to new living abroad life, we often consider things such as:
- Plenty of indoor and outdoor public space, such as a park, playground, and museum.
- Affordable and spacious housing, also the neighborhood’s proximity to family need is essential
- Family friend city design, such as sufficient pedestrian crosswalks, stroller-friendly streets, and street safety.
- The overall functions of the transportation system should be convenient
- Last but not least, a decent and affordable education and healthcare system.
To find out the top child-friendly cities, I took data from U.S News & World Reports’ annual “best countries” ranking & Homeday’s “The Best Cities for Families Worldwide. The researches are conducted based on the following attributes: care for human rights, family-friendly, gender equality, happiness, income equality, level of safety, well-developed public education system, and well-developed health care system.
Top Multicultural City in the World
Multicultural cities are defined as the presence of people with several cultural identities and ethnic groups, structuring communities in a city. These groups of people are different in norms, values, languages, beliefs, and more.
According to World Atlas, some of the most diverse cities in the world are,
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Sao Paulo
Finally, Top THREE Multicultural Family-friendly Cities
How about Spain?
Unfortunately, affordable housing and job market opportunities remain weak in Spain. Although Barcelona is not on the top 3 list, we still move to Spain.
Here are some facts about Barcelona, Spain:
- #16 overall ranking the best countries for raising kids
- 10 out of 10 happiness index
- 9.8 out of 10 on the heritage/ cultural index.
- 10 out of 10 family-friendly
Every family has a different story, background, goals, and value. No matter where you choose, it is going to be an incredible adventure for the family.